Sunday, July 15, 2007

valeriel's Corn Salad

val sent me this recipe last fall! Around Thanksgiving! I filed it safely in the recipe folder and then never got this up. I am appalled with myself. Thankfully she gave me a hard time about this & I was able to find it. Whew!

val writes: One could certainly make this salad and eat it right away, but it is really, really MUCH better after it sits over night. The flavor meld together wonderfully and the Miracle Whip twang disappears! Also, I used quite a bit of salt to season the salad, but thank goodness, it didn't turn out too salty.
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn (very well drained)
  • 4-6 stalks green onion, chopped
  • 1-2 big firm tomatoes (well drained), chopped
  • 2-4 T Miracle Whip
  • 3-4 oz. Bacon bits (hold out enough to sprinkle some across the top when you're done!)
  • salt
  • tsp pepper
  • crushed red pepper
Mix the vegetables together, making sure they drain well, so that the salad won't be runny or soggy. I would chop the tomato and onion about the same size as the corn. Add the Miracle Whip one tablespoon at a time so the salad won't end up being runny. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Joann uses a smidge of crushed red pepper for color not to make the salad spicy. Sprinkle the top of the salad with the remaining bacon bits. Voilá!

No comments: