Tuesday, April 18, 2006

lostdwarf's Quinoa Salad

I was such a brat about this recipe, I can't believe lostdwarf still shared it. Thanks for being so wonderful, lostdwarf!
  • 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed well
  • 3 cups vegetable broth or water (chicken broth works too)
  • ½ cup Basic Salad Dressing (I just use as much as I’d like)
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
  • ¼ cup red onion, diced
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced or 1 shallot, chopped (I just use green onion, include the white)
  • ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped (dried works too)
  • ¼ cup parsley, chopped
Add quinoa to broth or water in a medium sauce pan, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer; then cover and cook 15 minutes without stirring or until liquid is absorbed. Remove ingredients from saucepan and place in a bowl. Cool slightly and toss with salad dressing and remaining ingredients. Add more dressing if desired and adjust seasoning to taste. Add any leftover veggies for variety. (12 servings)

Basic Salad Dressing
(2 – 3 Servings)
  • ¼ cup flaxseed oil (or 2 tbsp. each flaxseed and olive oils) – I only use olive oil
  • 1 – 2 tbsp vinegar (apple cider, tarragon, rice, red wine, balsamic, ume plum) – I like apple cider best and I use 2 tbsp
  • ½ - 1 tbsp water
  • 1 tsp Dijon-type mustard (optional but delicious), whisked in to liquid for easy mixing
  • Whole or minced garlic, oregano, basil or other herbs of choice
Mix well in a shaker jar and store any leftovers in your refrigerator.

My additions: I will typically throw the salad dressing in a blender to liquefy the garlic. I find that it’s nicer to not chomp on a huge piece of garlic. I will also throw the red onion from the quinoa recipe in the blender with the salad dressing (doubled because I like red onion) for the same reason. It also gives it a lovely reddish-purple colour. Most of this is to taste. I prefer it cold so I’ll make it the day before and let the dressing just seep into the quinoa.

No comments: