Sunday, October 02, 2005

Britomart's "I Love Mustard" Salad Dressing

I also love shallots. Combine shallots and mustard, and I'm in heaven! Heaven! It occurs to me as I happily type here in the happy Hizzy recipe blog, that I have no real recipe here in terms of exact measurement. I will do my best. Taste as you go, though - you might want to play with the vinegar/oil ratio a titch. I do think this'll be pretty close, though.
  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 2 TSP balsamic vinegar
  • 2 TSP red wine vinegar
  • 1 TBSP dijon mustard
  • 2 shallots, chopped so finely they almost don't exist any longer
  • salt & pepper to taste
Whisk olive oil, vinegars & mustard. Add in shallots, salt & pepper. Mix them in. Pour over salad. I like this dressing best with mixed baby greens. Or hearts of romaine. Not so good with spinach & I don't believe in iceberg lettuce.

Optional addition (but only optional if you don't like nuts; if you like nuts you must do this!): Coarsely chop a bunch of pecans. Let's say about a cup. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small sautee pan, add pecans, generously salt. Sautee until cooked and slightly browner, but don't burn them or anything rash like that. Remove from heat, and let them cool a bit. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, I like to toss the salad, add the hot pecans, toss some more to slightly wilt the salad, then add the dressing. Divine.

Other things I tend to add to the salad that are awfully good with this dressing: goat cheese, asparagus (blanched, but cool), tomatos & red peppers.

No comments: