Monday, October 17, 2005

Britomart's Wasabi Vinaigrette Salad

In lovely Duluth, MN, the lovely & historic Fitger's Hotel serves this wasabi vinagrette in its hotel restaurant. Or at least they used to... it's been awhile since I've been there. Figuring out how to make it myself a proud culinary moment for me. (And I even asked for the recipe! And they were all coy! Well, I guess I showed them, huh?) As you're probably used to from me at this point, I don't have an exact recipe, so you might want to play with the ratios a bit. This is awfully close, I think.

Salad dressing:
1-2 TSP Wasabi paste (pretty much to taste, though)
1/3 C Sesame seed oil
3 TBSP Rice-wine vinegar
1 TBSP Toasted sesame seeds
Salt & pepper to taste

Put wasabi paste in a small bowl and add about a TBSP of the vinegar. With a spoon, mush & stir wasabi until fully dissolved, adding more vinegar as necessary. Once it's all incorporated, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk vigorously.

Salad:
Standard-sized bag of mixed baby greens
2 ripe avocados
small onion, carmelized (see below)
1 TBSP oil (butter's better if you're not trying to be vegan)
1/2 C pine nuts & dash of olive oil

Heat oil (or melt butter) over medium heat and add minced onion. Stirring occasionally, cook onion until well-browned, but not burnt (e.g. carmelized!)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pine nuts in a pie pan & toss with a wee amount of oil - just so they're barely coated. Cook for 5 minutes.

Let cooked stuff cool; peel & slice avocado into bite-sized pieces.

Put all ingredients in a big bowl; toss with recently-whisked dressing.

No comments: