Sunday, November 06, 2005

dandieandie's Pumpkin Cookies

dandieandie is lovely, kind and forgiving! She submitted the recipe despite the fact that I was singing Olivia Newton-John to her again & deserved to be punished.
  • 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 cupts all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 (16 oz) container cream cheese frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla, then stir in pumpkin. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pudding mix; gradually mix into pumpkin mixture. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place them 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool completely before frosting with cream cheese.

**I've never tried these with the cream cheese frosting, initially because I just couldn't find any at the grocery store, but after I made the cookies I discovered I didn't think they needed the frosting.

**I tend to be more heavy-handed with vanilla than the recipe calls for (ditto with the cinnamon), usually adding a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon, and the cookies haven't failed me yet!

No comments: