Sunday, September 18, 2005

Britomart's News Cafe Appetizer that a Monkey Could Make

Seriously, sooo simple.

I stole this from Miami Beach's News Cafe, one of my favorite cafes. They have a pretty simple menu, but they always use ridiculously fresh & great ingredients. Definitely eat there if you're ever in the area. I should disclaim that I never got a "recipe," so don't blame them if you don't like. :)
  • Mom o' Britomart's Basic Tomato Sauce
  • I loaf crusty French baguette
  • Goat cheese
  • Fresh basil
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut baguette into generous slices, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Hollow out a little pocket in the bread about the diameter of a quarter (sorry for the American coin bias - about the size of a British 50p coin or a 2 euro coin. I don't know any other currencies well enough. Sorry!) and about a cm or two above the bottom of the piece of bread. Fill little pocket with goat cheese. Place on baking sheet & cook for about 5 minutes.

While baking, heat up (unless you just made some & it's still hot) the tomato sauce. Tear basil into narrow strips, no more than an inch long.

Remove bread from oven. Cover plate with tomato sauce (a generous layer - a couple centimeters) and place baguette slices on top of sauce. Drizzle a small amount of extra sauce in artistic fashion over bread. Jauntily toss ripped basil pieces (quite a generous amount, the basil makes this dish!) all over plate. Serve.

3 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Ohh, I see a flaw in your title. It requires removing something from an oven - a task not all of us are quite up for.

The Hizzy said...

Ah, good point, deekay! I should retitle so it says "...that a Monkey with Dry Oven Mitts Could Make." (britomart)

Anonymous said...

There's a pasta at News Cafe that I loooove. I wish I could figure out the recipe. It is the pasta with fresh basil and tomato with mozzarella. If you can figure out something that can match that, you'd be my hero!