Thursday, September 22, 2005

valeriel's Potstickers

The first time I had potstickers was at TGIFridays. I loved them & thought, “I could make these.” I found a recipe for them in a Martha Stewart cookbook, which is where I culled the basic recipe. Except old Martha makes her wonton wrappers from scratch – I’m not doing that!

Potstickers:
  • 1 lb. ground meat (I use ground turkey)
  • 1 cup scallions, chopped
  • 1-3 T garlic (fresh preferably, but powdered works fine)
  • 1 T ground ginger
  • 1 package wonton wrappers
  • 1 egg white
  • cooking oil to fry potstickers
Dipping sauce:
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • ⅓ rice vinegar
  • ½ cup scallions, chopped
(These measurements are not exact because I always season to taste.)

To make dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and set aside.

Mix the meat, scallions, garlic and ginger together well in a bowl. I usually season to smell: I want to be able to smell the garlic and the ginger in the meat.

To fill the wrapper: place approximately ½ tablespoon of the meat mixture in the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, making a triangle, and seal the edges with egg white. Then, fold all 3 points over into the center. It should look like a little package. Brush the folded side with egg white. It’s ready to fry!

You can boil or fry potstickers, but I have not had great success with boiling. You can fry them with a little oil in a skillet but it’s easier and quicker if you deep fry them. You’ll know when the potstickers are done; they will turn golden brown and float easily.

Every time I have made these, everyone ALWAYS RAVES. Then they expect you to bring them every time there is a “get together.” The potstickers are not hard to make, but it can be time-consuming. It’s easier if more than one person helps to make the potstickers or one person folds while the other one fries. I have great memories of friends forming an assembly line and making potstickers. I have also, more than once, spent an evening making several pounds of potstickers all by myself.

Suggestions!
  • Don’t overfill the wrappers. If they are too full, they will bust while frying, making a mess of your oil.
  • Season your meat, but not too well. The dipping sauce will be on the salty side and the potstickers will be inedible if you season the meat too heavily. Even if you under-season (horror of horrors!), the sauce will save the potstickers.
  • You can make the potstickers ahead of time & freeze them to fry later. I sometimes stick them in the freezer for a few minutes as I make then so they will hold their shape better.
  • Have a pile ready once you start frying because they cook quickly. You don’t want to have a hot pot of oil going while you are frantically trying to make enough potstickers.
  • Any unused dipping sauce can be put in the freezer for future use.

No comments: