Sunday, October 30, 2005

Britomart's Moroccan Lentil Stew

I know we have a bunch of lentil stew recipes, but here's another. Because I love stew. And I love lentils. And this one does have a different flavor. And it's easy! And yummy! Oh, and I threw this together tonight, so my memory is fresh & the amounts extremely accurate (for me).

The distinctive ingredient is Moroccan Lamb Sausage that I found at Whole Foods tonight. I was talking with the guy who actually makes the sausages there (they had their homemade chorizo, which is divine & sadly rare for my Whole Foods, so I was asking him about it), and he says that if you call ahead a couple days, they'll take requests & make up sausage for you. And you don't have to commit to buying a ton - they'll just make up a normal batch for sale & you can buy however much you want.

One of the things that impresses me so much about Whole Foods is how accommodating and friendly and well run they are. All reports seem to confirm that they're a fantastic company all around. But, yeah, I'm supposed to be writing a recipe, eh?
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 Moroccan lamb sausages
  • 1 1/2 C red lentils
  • 32 oz chicken broth
  • 8 oz water
  • 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (plain)
  • 2 tsps cumin
  • 2 tsps cinnamon
  • 2 tsps nutmeg
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 TBSP butter (real butter, skip if you have margarine)
Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat, and sautee garlic for a couple minutes. Add onions & continue cooking until soft and golden.

Heat a skillet to medium-high and cook sausages. Since they're lamb sausages, it's important to cook them completely & separately, so the excess fat ends up in the skillet, not the stew. Remove cooked sausages to cutting board & cut into thin slices. If there's any excess fat, pat them with a paper towel.

Add broth, water & lentils to your garlic & onions. Increase heat to medium high & bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Add sausage, tomato and spices. Cook on low heat for another 10 minutes or so, adding butter a few minutes before serving.

No comments: