Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Shelwood's Grandma's Stuffing

I like using eggy breads, like challah. To sage it up, use the pork sausage with sage added and throw in some fresh chopped sage. My arthritis won't let me squeeze the soaked bread well, so do a cup or so at a time in my (large) salad spinner. The original recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter, but even I have my limits.

3 qt Stale hard rolls/bread (can be mixed, for ex: 12 rolls, two loaves bread)
1 tbsp chicken boullion or stock
1 onion, diced
6 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 lb butter (1 stick)
1/2 lb pork sausage
3 eggs
2 tbsp poultry seasoning
1 tbsp sage
salt and pepper

One day in advance, leave bread/rolls unwrapped.

In heavy pot, cook onions and celery in butter or oil until clear.

In very large bowl or pan, mix boullion in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1.5 qts cold water. Break up bread/rolls and place in boullion until soaked through.
Squeeze bread/rolls dry and add to onion/celery mix. Add pork sausage and eggs. Add poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughtly with hands.

Transfer mixture to pan. Dot top with butter pats. Cook at 325 until brown and heated through, about 40 minutes.

No comments: