Sunday, October 16, 2005

MartianIceQueen's Chicken & Vegetable Skewers

This is an utterly vague recipe, because I measure by eyeball when I cook. This is adapted from a dish my mother always made when we had company over – we used to joke that you could only come over for dinner at my house once, because otherwise you’d have to eat the same thing each time.

Marinade:
  • Italian dressing – I usually mix one from a packet of dry seasonings, or from the directions on the Penzeys container, using balsamic vinegar for all or some of the vinegar
  • Worchestershire sauce
  • Soy sauce
  • Garlic (powder or fresh, chopped)
Mix the above ingredients together. Use as much or as little of the last three ingredients as desired. Can also add onion powder, various Italian seasonings.
  • 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
  • 2-3 small zucchini, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
  • mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed
  • bell pepper, chopped into 1-2 inch chunks
  • potatoes
  • Any other veggies you want – cherry tomatoes, etc.
  • Wooden skewers
Prepare chicken, put into dish with enough marinade to mostly cover. Stir occasionally – let marinate for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Peel and chop the potatoes into 2 inch chunks. Boil until mostly done, drain. While they are still warm, stir in some of the marinade.

Prepare remaining vegetables, add remaining marinade. Make sure to at least get marinade on the mushrooms.

Line up all the ingredients, and place on wooden skewers. Everyone says you should soak the skewers first, but I never do and have never had a problem. I just cover them almost entirely in food instead…Make sure to mix up meat and vegetables on each skewer.

Place on baking sheet and under broiler; turn occasionally. Remove when chicken is cooked all the way through.

Serve with rice – I always use wild rice.

1 comment:

ChickenGrrl said...

This sounds delicious, and even though as a (non-preachy*) vegetarian it's not something I would make, I'd love to share a quick tip I learned from Rob Rainford (a.k.a. Big Black Sex Chef [cf. Six Feet Under!]) of License to Grill: When marinating, put the stuff in a ziploc baggie, making sure to "burp" all the air out. This way, the marinade covers more (if not all) of the surface area, and you don't have to turn or stir it. If it needs moving around, all you have to do is squish the bag around!

I'd definitely do a meatless version of this, though - and Italian dressing (even bottled) has always been one of my favorite marinades; I just never thought of adding the soy sauce. (And this would be great on the grill - though wouldn't you definitely want to soak your wooden skewers then?)


*see, I watch that show, and pretty much all he cooks is meat!